Thursday, May 27, 2010

Old Saybrook to Boston

Well, today was a good and easy day. During the night last night, we had a pretty severe thunderstorm, with lots of thunder and lightning. Rained pretty hard. So, when we got up, there were clear skies and much cooler temperatures. Welcome cooler temps!

Left the hotel and headed to New London to do a little looking around. It was a nice place, with lots of interesting sights. We didn't stop to get out of the car, but found that it was a nice-looking community.

Leaving there, we decided to go to Providence, RI, just to look around. I got off the Interstate at the wrong exit, and got on some small local roads. At one point, we had to stop for some geese and goslings to cross the road. Pretty neat! Had I not messed up with the directions, we'd never have seen them.

It is a very unique place, with very steep hills and very narrow streets. And tons of old, pretty houses and buildings. It is the home of religious freedom; there were several places that highlighted that theme. Driving around in some of the steep, narrow, curving streets was a challenge. I think the locals are used to it, but I surely was not used to it at all. Bar helped by telling me where to turn and looking out for traffic.

After Providence, we decided to go to Plymouth Rock, to see the sights there. Along the way, we found Pop's Cafe and stopped for a very good chicken salad sandwich and fries. Very good! I think every meal has been excellent so far. I'll get home and will see another unwanted 10 pounds from this trip. But the food is just so good.

It seems that we need a potty stop every 30 minutes along the way. Fortunately, our bladders seem to be on the same schedule, so I don't think either of us is getting aggravated with the other. I told her that I should rename this blog to "Two Weeks with Big Sis and Potties"! This getting older is a pain!!

Plymouth rock was neat. We went on the Mayflower II, a replica ship of the original ship to the new colonies. It was pretty neat,with the "Captain" there doing a lot of talking and ad-hoc answering of questions in the old dialect. It was enjoyable.

From the ship, we walked over to the "rock", looking down on it from a viewing area above. I wonder if it's THE rock, and if it's in the right location. Who knows, they could have picked out any rock to name "Plymouth Rock". Neat to see it just the same. Then we got some ice cream and jumped back into the car for a short ride to Boston.

Got to Boston before 4pm and decided to book a tour of Boston for tomorrow (Friday). Booked it and have been taking it easy for the past hour or so. This is the first time we've had any time to just relax with nothing pushing us.

We've decided to stay here two nights and leave Saturday morning for Bar Harbor, ME. I'm a bit concerned over lodging there; we're planning to be there the first big holiday of the summer, and have no reservations yet. Hopefully it will work out and we'll find something suitable.

Gotta wash clothes tomorrow night; the "dirty" bag is getting bigger than the clean stuff. Hopefully one washing will work out.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. You and Barbara appear to be going to most of the places taht Lisa and I visited a few years back. I don't really know what I expected, but I was disappointed with Plymouth Rock. I thought it would be bigger.

    Hope you got some clean clothes now.